Pages

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Apron Inspiration


Happy Diwali! I love celebrating holidays. To teach my girls about other cultures as they were growing up, I would learn about different countries' celebrations and holidays and basically put on a party. But they were educational parties! One that has endured has been Diwali, or the festival of lights. Basically, it is a five day celebration in India and each day is devoted to something special. As with most holidays in India it is very religious, and offerings and prayers are made to Hindu gods and goddesses. While we learned a good deal about the hindu religion, my focus was on the food, decorations, and music. Which is pretty basic for all my celebrations!

Diwali is a time to load up on special Indian sweets, decorate with lights of all kinds – fairy lights, candles, lanterns, and basically celebrate light over darkness; good over evil. That’s something I can get into.






photo credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/arvindgrover/3518470859/








Of course, being a themed celebration, I needed a themed apron to cook in. Hence my first international apron – the Indian apron.  I based my design on an Indian style tunic like dress called a kameez. I just started drawing and draping and well, this is what I ended up with. Check out my Etsy shop (coming soon) to buy one! So now, whenever I’m cooking Indian food, or just in an international mood, I put on my Indian apron.

(model - my daughter Hannah)




  






Here’s a picture of my daughter as she celebrated Diwali yesterday in Jaipur, India. She bought a new sari for the occasion. I talked to her this morning, which was the third and main night of Diwali, and I could barely hear her for the firecrackers going off outside! She’s realizing a dream of actually being in India to celebrate Diwali. Yay for her. As for me I’ll stay home and don my apron, and make some traditional Indian sweets.











Here are my suggestions for celebrating diwali :
     -light candles, put up white Christmas lights, and anything gold!
     -make some sweets!
     -Listen to some Indian music or watch a Bollywood movie
     Here’s a sample for you to start with:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxB-ki-qE64&list=PL20AF61EEB935A178&feature=g-list  (Love Shah Rukh Khan! – Indian movie star extraordinaire)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B_X2xOBpFc (Great Hindi movie starring Aishwarya Rai and Hrithik Roshan – Most beautiful movie stars well anywhere )

No comments:

Post a Comment