Pages

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Apron Inspiration

                ...and a lunch break


My first runway apron was inspired by this dress from the runways last spring. (I know I'm a season behind - but I'll get better. Next spring's runway apron will be right in keeping with next spring's new fashion). This design is one by Victoria Beckham. She sings, quite famously, and was the best dressed spice girl at the Olympic ceremonies, and I think she is a fabulous designer with uber style. And don't forget how her now famous short bob "shaped" hairstyle fashion for awhile.
Oh and she's married to him...

The best dressed guy at Will and Kate's wedding. Not to mention he can kick a ball like nobody's business ;)  p.s. I think you either had to love or hate her look here and I loved it!
But I digress...

Back to aprons.
The style is not typical ruffles and ties, and the mid back ties are a bit unusual. But I wanted the tight fitted bodice look, and I wanted it one size fits more than one, so this is what I came up with. And when it's tied snug in the back and waist you're good to go. 


I chose this tropical looking fabric by Amy Butler (her Love collection - water bouquet mint) because we were going to be staying in Miami Beach for a month in a condo last June, and I was going to be cooking, and because mint was the in color last spring and summer. I wore this apron every time I cooked, had fun making special meals, drinking mojitos, and enjoying our 11th floor view of South Point, the marina, and Miami Beach...and all the Mazeratis, Jags, Porsches, Lamborghinis, and Mercedes driving down the street below.

 

On this particular day I made Fresh Corn Polenta with poached eggs. I added fresh steamed soybeans instead of the sauteed greens because that's what I had, and had some mushrooms I sauteed as well. Freshly grated Parmesan cheese topped it off. It really was delish.





Can't forget the Mojito!


Taking a break out on the balcony


                                                      View from the kitchen window



     View from the balcony towards South Point and my favorite building - the peach and blue one.


   We had a corner condo so this was the view around the corner towards the marina. Downtown Miami is in the distance.



 So here's the inspiration and the result. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Thanks Victoria Beckham (Check out her spring 2013 line!). Thanks Amy Butler. And thanks alexandra's kitchen (www.alexandracooks.com) for the following recipe. Happy cooking!

 

Fresh Corn Polenta

Serves 1
2 ears corn
2 teaspoons butter
kosher salt
grated Parmigiano Reggiano
1. Clean the corn, removing all husks and threads. Working over a large bowl, grate the kernels off of the cob on the coarse side of a box grater. You will have a very wet coarse pulpy mixture.
2. Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the grated corn and season with a good pinch of salt. Simmer over low heat, stirring to prevent browning, for about 3 minutes. The mixture is ready when it just begins to thicken and set.
3. Top with some grated Parmigiano Reggiano and/or a poached egg or some sautéed greens.

You can buy this apron (I made two) or other Runway aprons in my Etsy shop.




No comments:

Post a Comment