Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Morning Wake up Call - Muffins


Good Morning! I had a craving for these this past weekend. Morning Glory Muffins. As far as muffins go I consider them healthy because they have carrots, apples, and raisins in them. This batch was made without nuts because, for the most part I don't like bits of nuts in any of my cakes, cookies or muffins. And, since my kids don't like coconut, I left that out ( ok, I threw in like a tablespoon. shh.) And since I had just run out of canola oil, I used olive oil, which actually made these come out a little lighter.



Speaking of carrots...www.etsy.com/shop/CashmereChickenCoops   ;)



Ingredients:
1-1/4 cups sugar
2-1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
*1/2 cup shredded, sweetened coconut
3/4 cup raisins, light or dark
1 large apple, peeled, cored and grated
1 cup (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
2 cups grated carrots
*1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts
3 large eggs
*1 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions:
1) Position a rack in lower third of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Line standard muffin pans with paper liners. Set aside.
2) Whisk together sugar, flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl. Add coconut, raisins, apple, pineapple, carrots, and nuts, and stir to combine.
3) In a separate bowl, whisk eggs with the oil and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients and mix well.
4) Spoon batter into muffin tins, filling to top of each cup. Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into middle comes out clean. Cool muffins in pan for 10 minutes, then turn onto a rack to finish cooling. Yield: 16 muffins.

* I just used a tablespoon or so! of coconut, no nuts, and substituted 1 cup of olive oil for the vegetable oil. Delish!



No comments:

Post a Comment