Pages

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Random Thoughts

Things I've learned this past week...

1.There are no coincidences.
2.You can have brief moments in time that can change your life for the better. Even when they're all in one night.
3.People are not always what they seem. Case in point.


So I told you in my last post about this really cool bar we discovered. Well, here's the guy that puts the majority of cool into this bar. Ace Gilletts is the bar. And this is "my bartender" Ray. Yeah, for those of you who know the art of cocktails, you know what I mean when I say he is mine. And to answer the question in my last post. He answers it here..
http://journalpulp.com/blog/ So Ray isn't just an amazing, artistic, attentive, bartender...he's also an AMAZING writer. See. You have to be bold. Get to know someone. Peel off the layers. Put yourself out there. Read his blog. I've discovered words on his blog that I've never heard of. And I'm college educated. English was my best subject. I've worked as a professional in the software industry...and I love Shakespeare. Buy his book. Yeah. He's a published author. I love the depth in people......

4. I've met my new hairstylist. Ok. It was after a couple of drinks (at Ace Gilletts), and I told him he smelled really good. Several times. That just made him curious. He's from Turkey. Towards the end of the night I could barely understand him his accent was so strong. He owns a hair salon in town. I made an appointment with him...for this afternoon. There goes my money and my trust. He serves Turkish coffee! Who needs to sleep tonight... 
5. “Let’s cease thinking of our accomplishments, our wants. Let’s try to figure out the other person’s good points. Then forget flattery. Give honest, sincere appreciation. Be “hearty in your approbation and lavish in your praise,” and people will cherish your words and treasure them and repeat them over a lifetime-repeat them years after you have forgotten them.”

-Dale Carnegie
  
6.When you're feeling like you're a complete and utter failure. And you're confused. And you don't know in what direction your life is going. DON'T GIVE UP.
7.Don't compare your pain to others'. Some people are dealing with divorce after 22 years of marriage and 4 kids and are a freaking awesome husband and have lost everything they knew; some people are coming back to life after Leukemia with a 10% chance to live; some people are coming out to their families and being rejected and wondering if life is worth living; some people appear to others as if they've got it all made. Seemingly perfect life, marriage, picture perfect family and childhood, home, careers....don't underestimate what someone is going through on the inside...Everyone has their own joys and their own pains, and I see it as our challenge to be there for those whose lives we intersect with...
8. It's amazing to have a soulmate who knows you better than you know yourself and can inspire you with what you need before you realize it yourself.
9. I would drive through blizzard conditions for my child.
10. I love Adele. Listened to this at least ten times today. Who cares if she dressed like a pillow at the Grammys. Super talented, successful, free woman http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLQl3WQQoQ0

11. This is the darker side of my listening today http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxFq1w86Odg





2 comments:

  1. Hi, there. It's Ray, and you're very kind, Joanne -- too kind. Thank you.

    If you and your excellent readers are interested:

    http://journalpulp.com/2011/10/06/interview-with-slagheap/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Ray. I think we just kicked some of my excellent readers into a new dimension. Sweet.

    ReplyDelete