Pages

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Random Thoughts

Happy Birthday Dad.
It's my Dad's birthday today. I think of him every day. I think about him in terms of his whole life, not just his being my Dad. I think of him being a child in Aliquippa, Pa. I think of him leaving home at a young age, traveling the country hopping trains, joining the Civilian Conservation Corp when he was 16 in the late 1930s. He was in Army Intelligence during World War 2. He was a boxer, a bus driver, and worked in the US Post Office for over 30 years. He was a husband, father, grandfather. He was well over 6 feet tall and could waltz, polka, and jitterbug like nobody's business. He was a gentle, patient father who rarely raised his voice. He taught me to drive, dance, swim, play poker. He demonstrated unconditional love as a father to me every day of my life. I am a better person because of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment