Pages

Friday, May 17, 2013

Notes From The City - Friday Afternoon Tea




One of my favorite, comforting places to have tea in San Francisco is the Japanese tea garden. It is tucked away in Golden Gate Park, and it has been a part of me since childhood. We were fortunate to live within walking distance and my Mother took advantage of all the park has to offer. The aquarium, museums, Exploratorium, music concourse, playgrounds, conservatory, lakes, walking paths, meadows were all familiar destinations. None were so quietly special as the tea garden. We would walk the paths, traverse the traditional Japanese bridge, sit and enjoy the bonsai and all the flowers in bloom, then we would take a break and sit in the tea house, where kimono - laden women would bring us Jasmine tea, rice crackers and sesame, almond, and fortune cookies. We would enjoy this simple tea while overlooking the pond and gardens.


Not only is the tea house still there, but throughout the years they have upgraded their menu. I thoroughly enjoyed not only my Jasmine tea and crackers and cookies this past Spring, I was able to get miso soup and tea sandwiches! I love when things change for the better. :)


We still sit at the little bar overlooking the pond and gardens, and every time I visit now, I feel fortunate to be able to share similar peaceful moments with my daughters as I once did with my Mother.


And I still trekked over the bridge. And no - you don't want to see the picture of me doing it...


Depending on the time of year it can be freezing cold and foggy, or hot. Most likely it will fall somewhere in between. I always try to remember to bring a jacket.

Of course Spring is a perfect time of year to go because many of the trees are showing off their blossoms.

It can get crowded with tourists. I always hear so many accents and languages from around the world. It's funny though, when people enter I think they feel the calming environment and respect that.

There are always some benches and private places to sit and enjoy and just be.


And there are always koi to stare at...


There are also some temples, a gift shop, and other little hidden gems to look at while wandering. Simply a lovely way to spend and hour or two if you're in this part of the world. I highly recommend it.

Happy Friday everyone. Now I think I there's a Bourbon Sidecar and some goat cheese fondue with my name on it. Until next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment