Pages

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Random Thoughts: Blossoms and Badassery

I've been appreciating the details this week. If I look at everything in total, from a distance, everything would be a bit overwhelming. For example...

We are putting in new flooring on our main floor after 18 years of living here. Now I'm not saying I should be on a certain reality show...however, I like to hold on to things. The things in my home have sentimental value. The last week has been about packing up, temporarily moving things, and throwing away stuff.  When I am feeling overwhelmed, I stare at the carpet which has weathered years of children, guests, animals, and the four seasons of living on a dirt road and I visualize sanded and stained, 10 inch wide, 16 feet long pine flooring with a Christmas tree standing festively in the corner.

My youngest daughter is graduating from high school and will be leaving for college in the fall, empty nest, no more children at home with the daily routines that began 23 years ago.....let's just get through graduation.

With the weather heating up a bit, so many trees, plants, grasses, shrubs, and, yes, weeds, have begun their seasonal "Hey! I'm here!" activities. When I walk outside this time of year and see the alarming rate of growth of weeds, grass, and dandelions, I start to wish for dormant season again. To calm myself, I walk around and focus on the details. The macro setting and zoom feature on my camera helps me to marvel at the intricacies of my surroundings. I'm talking spring blossoms here. So far the apple tree, crab apple tree and lilacs are radiant in bloom, defiant of recent violent thunderstorms. Others are just beginning to breakout.















As for the badassery. I love this Urban Dictionary definition: "Engaging in seemingly impossible activities and achieving success in a manner that renders all onlookers completely awestruck."

I happened upon this book that was recommended  on a blog.



 With all the changes going on, yet again, and spring, and, well, one can always use inspiration, no?, I started to read it. So far it is laugh out loud funny, challenging and thought provoking in a very relatable way. I'm hooked is what I'm saying. And I will make room to read it along with the other 4 books I am currently reading. Don't judge me.

She says the following in the book, and it really made me think what kind of example do I want to set for my daughters now, and what kind of person do I want to be and have others' see me as. (It's never too late to shine - or go from bud to blossom?)


"We need smart people with huge hearts and creative minds to manifest all the wealth, resources, and support they need to make their difference in the world.
We need people to feel happy and fulfilled and loved so they don't take their shit out on themselves and other people and the planet and our animal friends.
We need to be surrounded by people who radiate self-love and abundance so we don't program future generations with gnarly beliefs like money is bad, and I'm not good enough and I can't live the way I want to live.
We need kickass people to be out of struggle and living large and on purpose so they can be an inspiration to others who want to rise up, too"

Just sayin...



I will leave you with this from the book. It's actually a quote the author used from a poet. I read this after wandering the garden taking pictures of the blossoms. Fitting, I think, for the trees and for us.
 

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"
                      Anais Nin




No comments:

Post a Comment