Pages

Friday, September 12, 2014

Apple Season

According to the Calender it is not officially autumn, but I say it's close enough. Many of our trees and shrubs have a few red and gold leaves on them, the nights are cooler (last night was downright cold!), the mornings crisp, and the apples are ready. So are more aprons but I'm waiting for my models before getting them in my shop.

This year the apple tree is so weighed down with fruit you can hardly see the chicken house and yard! I've been picking them daily, and, well, they've been adding up. There are still plenty for the birds

and the chickens


It's funny how childhood memories affect us. Every time I was picking apples or crawling under the tree to pick the dropped ones, my mind kept sneaking to this, or the tin man, or...worse, but I wasn't going to put a picture of the wicked you know what of the west anywhere near this blog!!

I believe these are Jonamacs, but don't quote me on that. They are tart with a hint of sweet, and the longer they stay on the tree the redder they become and the sweeter they are. Crisp and delicious for eating as well as baking. 

Of course I wouldn't have planted apples just for eating, because who can eat all these? Whenever I see a big bowl of apples, or in this case, many bowls of apples I think of the movie Baby Boom. 

Diane Keaton plays the single, high powered city executive who suddenly becomes the guardian of a toddler, ends up moving to an old, perfect farmhouse in rural Vermont, with an apple orchard. She ends up making tons and tons of applesauce, because, why not, sells it locally, puts her marketing knowledge to use, and her toddler's photo on the jars, and becomes a millionaire all over again because it's so successful. Oh, and she marries the local vet and lives happily ever after. You know, like most of our lives.





So back to apples. Let the games begin. Today it was my go to Oatmeal apple muffins with apple butter on the side. For dinner it was roast chicken and sliced apple sandwiches. I've got a long way to go. 




Oatmeal Apple Muffins

1 cup old fashioned oats, uncooked
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup mixed dark and golden raisins
1 1/4 cup all - purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 egg
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
2 apples, peeled, cored, and finely chopped
Demerera sugar or raw sugar.

In a small bowl, combine oats and milk. Set aside until oats have absorbed milk and are soft. Soak raisins in hot water to plump them; drain. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Mix well. Beat egg, brown sugar and oil until well blended. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients. Stir until well blended. Stir in oat mixture, apples and raisins. Stir together until blended. Grease muffin tins and fill 3/4 full. Sprinkle with raw sugar. Bake at 400 degrees f. for 15 to 20 minutes. 

2 comments:

  1. Your photos are gorgeous Joanne!! I just picked a load of apples at a friends house and make a half dozen pints of apple butter. So good but tons of work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. Apple butter is definitely worth the work!

      Delete